skip to primary navigationskip to content
 

Information for Graduate Students

The MPhil in History of Art & Architecture is taught through a combination of research seminars, skills training, and supervised individual study. 

You will attend two selected courses in specialised areas of research, one in Michaelmas (Autumn) Term and one in Lent (Spring) Term, focusing on salient critical and theoretical issues in the discipline. You will be expected to prepare presentations and discussion for these through independent reading and study.

In addition, you will attend the Department’s weekly research seminars, the Department’s fortnightly medieval seminars and other lectures and seminars in the Department and elsewhere in the University. You will also take training sessions on research skills.

You will meet your supervisor frequently, about once a fortnight in term time, as you prepare your work for examination. You will submit two essays of 6,000 words at the end of Michaelmas and Lent term, making up 40% of your mark. These need not relate to the themes of the taught courses, but may be directed towards your personal research interests. The other 60% will come from your 15,000 word dissertation, submitted in June.

 

Testimonials

‘The Cambridge MPhil in History of Art and Architecture was the perfect environment in which to begin my intellectual development as a scholar. The taught seminars and weekly Research Seminars introduced me to new ideas and helped me to tackle them on a much higher level than at undergraduate. The generous and extremely supportive attitude of academics gave me the confidence to pursue my own ideas, while the MPhil presentations provided invaluable experience in communicating my research.’

'Studying for the MPhil in Cambridge has been a hugely gratifying experience. The course opened my eyes to the breadth and depth of the field, fostered in an open and informal space. It allowed me to express and exchange new ideas with truly extraordinary people. The vocational emphasis offered in the Transferable Skills Training Programme also provided valuable advice for advancing a career in academia or art institutions.’