skip to content

Department of History of Art


You apply for leave to work away via your CamSIS self-service. This application is considered a change to your student status. Further details about ‘Leave to Work Away from Cambridge’ can be found at Approval to work away can take several weeks, so you should submit your application at least two months before you plan to leave Cambridge. You cannot apply to work away retrospectively. You must obtain permission to work away before you leave Cambridge.

For trips under two weeks, there is no formal requirement for students to submit leave to work away applications through CamSIS.

Risk Assessment and insurance

Useful information on assessing risk and other safeguarding measures can be found at Low Risk (Basic), Medium Risk (Standard) and High Risk (Elevated) Travel Assessment Forms can be found at If you are not sure which form to use, please refer to the Guidance on Managing Risks from Travel, Fieldwork and Work Away. Foreign travel advice is available from:

More information about Travel Insurance can be found at

If you have any questions about working away, please contact the Graduate Office at