skip to primary navigationskip to content

Slade Professors

Slade Profs banner

The Slade Professorship of Fine Art at Cambridge was founded in 1869 as the result of a bequest from the art collector Felix Slade (1788-1868). At the same time, similar chairs were founded in the Universities of Oxford and London. Originally Slade Professors were elected, and sometimes re-elected, for three-year terms. In 1961 the practice changed and since then visiting Slade Professors have been elected on an annual basis. Holders of the Chair usually deliver eight public lectures and four classes for students in the department during the Lent Term of their year in office. The Slade Professorship of Fine Art has been held by many of the most distinguished historians of art and architecture from around the world.

For the academic year 2014-15 the department welcomes Professor Mary Miller, former Dean of Yale College, as Slade Professor of Fine Art.

Professor Mary Miller's Slade lectures will be entitled 'A Thing Of Wonder: The Hand-held Object Of The Ancient Maya' and will be delivered during Lent term 2015. For more details please see the 'News' and 'Events' sections.

List of Slade Professors in the Department from 1869.