skip to content

Department of History of Art


There are all kinds of reasons why you may have to take time off from your course or research programme;  for example, medical reasons, caring duties, an emergency situation at home and maternity leave.  It is important that you make a formal application to take time off as soon as you know that you need to do so but to do this in consultation with your Supervisor and College Graduate Tutor.  You may also find it useful to discuss your application with your Advisor, Course Administrator or Graduate Student Administrator.  You may request to intermit for a maximum period of three terms.

If you are making your application on medical grounds, you will need to include a note from your medical doctor, counsellor or your College Graduate Tutor.

It is really important that you talk about any circumstances which are preventing you from working effectively with one or more of these staff from your graduate team.

Please note that it is not possible to apply for, and have agreed, retrospective terms of intermission, or to apply for intermission for the purpose of taking employment.

If you are an MPhil student, you may have to intermit three terms even if you require fewer so that you can join your programme at the point you left it in the forthcoming year.

Full information about intermission, its consequences and how to make an application is available from:

 If you hold a visa to study, then you must consider the potential implications of applying for intermission on your visa. Please refer to the additional information  for Tier 4 Sponsored Students on the above link.

 If you require further information after consulting the link above. please contact:  You may also find it useful to talk to staff at the Student Registry  ( and the International Student Team  (

 You will need to state, on your application, the exact dates that you will be away from Cambridge